Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dilemma

I want to go visit my family over a long weekend in February. I've been watching ticket prices for nearly a month. When I first looked, they were $190 round trip. I wasn't sure which weekend I wanted to go, so I didn't book them. Ever since, they've been between $315 and $350 -- Farecast keeps saying prices will drop, but they haven't, and I'm getting antsy about booking now or the price going up even more.

Reasons to go:
1. It's been over a year since I was there.
2. I want to see my grandparents.
3. I want to meet my friend's "new" (six-month-old) baby.
4. I've been asked to speak to my alma mater and I could do it in person instead of via Skype (unfortunately, there's no chance of them kicking in money towards the trip -- they did ask me to Skype in the first place).

Reasons not to go:
1. Tickets are $150 more than I wanted to pay.
2. I have to rent a car on top of the plane tickets. (This may seem like an un-needed expense, but it turns out that my parents and I only get along when I don't rely on them for transportation. Also, if I drive myself I won't miss my flight back--I've missed every flight in eight years where I relied on my mother for transport. Alas, the airport is two hours away, so I don't have many friends I can call on instead.)

Reasons to throw all caution to the wind:
1. I have nearly $700 in my travel fund, but I was hoping to make that cover two trips (flight + car) since I won't be adding to it anymore until we pay off the student loans.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. I'd probably wait a few days more and then book. The prices always seem to get jacked on long weekends; on the other hand I try to get home at least twice a year, so my priorities in that area may be different from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need to go, and you have some compelling reasons for doing just that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!